Recently, I consulted Sadie Scapillato‘s website and was in for a nice treat. She asked web surfers 10 easy questions. The purpose behind them is simple: Sadie simply wants to know who we are, what we do, and how we appreciate our careers as language professionals (translators, editors, proofreaders…). This was a great exercise for me, as Sadie got to know me more. In addition, other professionals got to know me and, of course, I got to know them as well.
Reproducing my answers in this post will make this article extremely long. You may read my answers to Sadie’s questions here. But first, below are the questions she asked:
- Four-parter: Where do you live? What are your language pairs? How did you learn those languages? What types of documents do you translate?
- Do you do other language-related work?
- What do you like most about translating? least?
- What are your future dreams or goals, professionally speaking?
- What do you think: do all translators need to specialize?
- What is your #1 tip for new translators?
- What is a translation-related lesson you’ve learned on the job?
- What book(s) are you reading right now?
- Do you have a blog or other online presence where we can learn more about you? Any favourite links or tips to share?
- What’s one non-work-related tidbit your virtual colleagues might like to know about you?
Some other translators have answered these questions, including Patricia Barthélémy, who freely translated Sadie’s questions into French (avis à mes abonnés francophones intéressés ! Consultez les questions et ses réponses ici). Anyone interested in translating these questions en español or any other language? Be my guest.
Below are other followers (or not!) who have answered Sadie’s questions:
Herman Boel – click here for link
Catharine Cellier-Smart – click here for link
And of course, Sadie herself answered the questions (click here for link — scroll down the page to read her answers).
Now, dear virtual followers, it’s your turn! I look forward to reading your answers. Sadie, Catharine, Patricia, and Herman will certainly be pleased!